Saturday, February 21, 2009

Find it hard to love?

Oh my...some people are just very unloveable...BUT. Oh, there's always a BUT. Not that I'm complaining. The BUTS are good for us to remember, think on, and act on. I have a tendancy to lash out in a sense when someone makes me mad. I raise my voice (I blame it on my German and Irish roots, but I know it's my sinful nature) and crinkle my brow. STOP.

What is love? Love is patient (strike one), love is kind (strike two)...guess I'm not doing so great. It's easy to see that anger can get out of hand pretty quickly. I raise my hand and confess to that. Not that I physically abuse people, but my words are not edifying. God's word says "let no corrupt communication proceed from your mouth BUT that which is good to the use of edifying that it might minister grace to the hearers." Guilty. Love doesn't speak harshly and pridefully. Love does just that...loves. The ACTION of love.

Jesus is our perfect example of love. The blind, crippled, prositutes, slaves, etc. etc. etc...he loved those who were considered hard to love. He was patient and kind, he did not envy or boast. He was not proud or rude or self-seeking. The list goes on. Christ was our example of how we should treat those around us. He healed, reached out, had a gracious word...He didn't yell at them or get upset and walk away...He was drawn to those people who were harder to love for various reasons.

It's hard sometimes when the people critcize you (maybe because you're a Christian, or for how you look, or any number of reasons.) But those are the people that we have to ask God for help so we can forgive them on the spot.

Let my words be sweet, oh Lord, a fragrance of you.

No comments: